Awesome Ladies Project Challenge 1.4 | Design Challenge: Bold Type
This week’s challenge is to incorporate bold type into your project.
Whether it’s with a broad stroke of a paintbrush, chunky alphabet stickers, a wide-tipped marker, etc; using a bold typeface is a great way to add emphasis to the words of your project.
My Challenge Project:
This week’s #awesomeladiesproject is all about Bold Type. I went with a one page layout this time and documented a few of my favorite spots in my studio right now. I used my basics alpha and number sets (available in the rukristin shop) to set up the journaling around my photo.
Learn more about the Awesome Ladies Project Scrapbook Challenges, our fabulous creative team, and an archive of all challenges (as they’re posted) at http://theawesomeladiesproject.com.
Awesome Ladies Project Creative Team Projects
I used a brush marker to create bold lettering. I also wanted to make the stars stand out by making some of the lines thicker than the others.
For this challenge I knew I had to do something with the quote that has been rattling around in my brain all week; “I contain multitudes” by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I don’t own a die-cutter, so I cut out the word that I most wanted to emphasize by hand (the insides of the letters are a bit wonky, so but that’s fine with me). I paired it with a big, blurry photo that I thought fit the message of the quote and kept the rest of the layout simple with paper that I love and some handwritten thoughts.
This challenge was a little difficult for me. I am not a BOLD person. I like subtle. started by going through my pictures and finding ones I liked. Once I did this I had an idea. All of these pictures depicted things that make Me…Me. So I began putting them all together. Two of the pictures are actually spreads I made for My Details. The others are pictures that make me smile. Drinking coffee while working in my office. Snuggling with my kitten butt. The don’t sum me up as a person but they speak to my personality.
My habits of clicking around the internet warranted their own journaling card in my PL album (short version: I have too many tabs open and move too quickly and can’t remember whether I clicked confirm, send, or whatever else may be an important step in working the internet). I combined a PL card from Studio Calico Carolina Moon kit and half of a page from a 4×6 paper pad from the same kit for a different take on the same pattern. The corners don’t match, but I’m learning that this is OK.
In digging around my scrap supplies I found these super bold numbers and knew they’d be perfect for my annual “Me @” page! Can you believe I now have a decade of these pages tucked away in an album?? I balanced the bold type with some equally big – but much softer – fussy-cut flowers.
For the bold typography challenge, I chose to use Impact as my font of choice and used embroidery floss/thread and nails on wood to create this Halloween-themed piece.
I used gold oil pastel to add a bold focal point to the page, and painted over it using a watercolour wash. I love how the oil pastel repelled the paint and can’t wait to try using this technique more!
I used acrylic and Indian inks to cover the page, marked out a line across and the outline of the feathers, then painted black gesso around the shapes. I filled in the lines of the feathers and used a brush pen to write a favorite quote from Emerson.