Holiday Extravaganza: DIY Gem Holiday Picture Frame
Visit the main page for challenges, games, & inspiration from crafters around the world.
Hey everyone, Katie
here. Christmas is definitely my favorite holiday of the year- Christmas music, Candy Canes, Gift Giving, etc. Everything about it is so magical, it’s a wonderful time to take a lot of photographs to document every special moment!
You may be scrapbooking those photos (I certainly will!) but it’s also nice to have a few on display in a cute frame. I used some fun craft supplies to restyle this simple frame to hold a photo from Christmas 2012, which we spent at the beach in Florida.
Supplies you need:
- Wooden Frame (I used a blank craft frame, but you could also restyle a thrifted frame.
- Red Paint
- Paint Brush
- White Flat Backed Pearls
- Red Gems
- Letter Stickers
1. Paint the wooden picture frame you desired color. I chose to paint mine red, but I think green, gold or silver would look lovely as well.
I had to do 2 coats of paint to completely cover my frame.
2. Choose your letter stickers and word and stick them to the bottom of your frame.
I chose to write “NOEL”, and I had these shiny gold thickers by American Crafts that I thought went well.
3. It’s time to add some bling to your frame! Adhere the white pearls in a polka dot pattern, placing them about .5″ apart or whatever works best for your frame size.
Here are a couple of tips for placing the gems:
- Use a tool to easily pick up the pearls and place them onto the glue. I used the Pick-Me-Up tool by Silhouette America. It’s basically a pen with sticky-tack on the end, but it’s extremely helpful in picking up the tiny pieces.
- You can sketch out a pattern guide with a ruler and pencil if you want your polka dots lined up perfectly.
- I recommend using a fast drying glue, so that your pearls and gems stay in place. You don’t have to worrying about bumping them and having them move on you.
4. Place small red gems in between each of the white pearls using the same technique as the pearls. I like the tone-on-tone look of the red gems on red paint, if you painted your frame a different color you might want to use different colored gems as well.
Just add in a festive picture and put your new restyled frame on display! This frame is going to go up above our fireplace with other handmade Christmas decor.
Are a lot of your decorations for the holidays handmade?
I think Kristin’s Holiday Extravaganza is a great place to go for a bit of Christmas inspiration! I’m planning on participating in some of the challenges and games here and I encourage you to do so as well!
Katie is a lover of anything crafty. She doodles on everything she can get her hands on, however her favorite projects are scrapbooking and restyled/upcycled crafts. She writes the blog, Punk Projects and designs custom shoes in her etsy shop.
Play along using hashtag #holidayextravaganza.
Celebrate with 30% off everything in the rukristin shop.