I’m always on the look out for ways to be better at the things I love, and today I’m sharing a couple of tips to get the most out of instagram.
Instagram is awesome. It’s far and away my favorite social media platform. It’s a great space to meet new friends, share art projects, view pictures from around the world, and make it look all cool and vintage-y at the same time.
5 Ways to Become a Better Instagrammer
- Post quality photos. This is the biggest rule. The better your photos are, the more people will like them and comment on them. You’ll get better engagement and more followers. It is the most organic way to be a better instagrammer, and BONUS — you’ll have awesome pictures that you can do other things with, like print out and hang on your wall, or put in your next scrapbook or art journal.
- Fill out your profile. Let people know who you are (or at least who your instagram personality is). You don’t have much space here, so brevity is important. Make sure to include a link to your blog/facebook page/other home on the web. It’s your only link — make it count.
- Tag & hashtag correctly. A tag (@rukristin) will both send notification to that person, and create a link to that person’s instagram profile. A hashtag (#rukristin) adds searchable information to the photo. The photo will appear in all searches for that hashtag, and by clicking on the hashtag, all public photos with the hashtag will be shown. A good rule of thumb is use the tag (@rukristin) if you want that person to see your comment, or if you want to leave a link to that person’s instgram profile. Conversely, use a hashtag (#rukristin) if you want your photo included in a group of photos with the same hashtag.
- Make friends & chat people up. Be friendly! Like and comment on other people’s photos. Tag friends in photos if you think they’d be interested. Start conversations in the comments and be social.
- Join in on IG postups/events. Play along with instagram events like #workspacewednesday, or #widn (what I’m doing now), and two of my favorites #thursday3 and #currentlylist. These are a GREAT way to make new friends, find new people to follow, and check out all the cool ways that other people are playing along.