Happy my birthday! Today I’m sharing another version of the birthday interview challenge I’ve been sharing over the past few years. This year I’ve changed up the interview questions a little bit.
1. What are you currently working on?
Currently, I’m working on writing a self-paced version of my Book of Me class that I taught last year inside my membership program at the Awesome Ladies Project. I know a membership program/subscription isn’t for everyone (even though I LOVE the intimacy and closeness that I get with my ladies), it just doesn’t fit into everyone’s lifestyle. But I absolutely love that course, and I think it would be amazing if I could get that message out to more people.
2. Who are you currently in love with?
Currently, I’m in love with Rahul from the Great British Baking Show — Season Six on Netflix. I loved this season so much that I watched it twice. The contestants from this season are awesome, the things they make are amazing, and they are all really endearing. But Rahul, he just tops the cake, quite literally. His words, his bakes, the way he helps everyone else out. I just want to hug him every single time.
3. Do you think you are currently acting in line with your values?
Oh my god yes. Finally. It’s one of the things that has helped lessen my anxiety so much. Living and acting in line with my values is the number one thing that has helped me decrease my day-to-day anxiety.
4. How old are you right now?
Today I turn 33 years old.
5. How did you meet your best friend?
At the United States Census, just about ten years ago.
6. When was the last time you laughed?
Earlier today at therapy when we were chatting about the absurdity of this freezing cold spell. It’s pretty ridiculous.
7. What gives you sadface?
My headaches. Especially when they’re preventing me from doing something that I thought I was going to be able to do. It’s gotten a lot better over the past year or so, as I’ve 1) gotten better about knowing when my headaches are going to happen and how bad they’re going to be and 2) giving myself a lot of grace and stepping back from doing so much.
8. Who is your most dangerous enemy?
Probably myself? Aren’t we always our own most dangerous enemies?
9. Where is your hometown?
North Arlington, New Jersey. It’s about 20 minutes outside of mid/lower Manhattan. If you’ve ever seen the opening scene from The Sopranos, you’ve seen it. Pizzaland is around the block from the house I grew up in. It was a good place to be from, and I miss New York City like hell. You cannot get pizza around here (East Lansing, MI) for anything.
10. What is one of your strengths?
I’m a great problem-solver. If you’ve got a problem, I’ll help you find 10 ways to solve it. It’s one of the reasons I love critical thinking. And I think, for the most part, I do a great job of avoiding the biggest peril of then finding problems in everything.
11. What was the most important thing you’ve done so far?
Left New Jersey, moved out to Michigan and figured out what was wrong with my headaches. Figuring out the small amount that I know now has made my life better in orders of magnitudes.
12. What is a lesson you’ve learned from a past mistake?
You can’t be everything to everyone.
13. What do you love about yourself?
I love that I’m self aware enough to know that my story is important; and that I can bring that message to other women.
14. What is your favorite word to say out loud?
15. What was the last movie that made you cry?
Coco. You have to watch Coco. It’s such a good movie. We watched it for the Awesome Ladies Project Harvest Fest. Then when our sisters came down for Thanksgiving, we made them watch it too and everyone was crying at the end.
16. What is the best thing that could happen to your creativity?
Space. Right now I think the answer is space. Usually for me the answer is either space, or to box myself in. I usually get space by cleaning, decluttering, unfollowing, and clearing out. When I need to box myself in, I’ll find challenges, prompts, and other ways to give myself rules to follow.
17. What’s been your favorite personal growth moment in the last five years?
Starting the Crafty Ass Female podcast. It’s been such an amazing growth opportunity. My conversations with Amanda have been such a wonderful way for the two of us to grow and learn back and forth. It’s been just over a year since we’ve started the podcast and I’ve found a deeper meaning to my own personal voice and a better way of connecting with so many people.
18. Looking back on the past year, what would you have done differently?
I would have remembered to check the hotel room before we left Canada. Then I wouldn’t have left my bag on the far side of the bed, with my laptop and planner inside.
19. When you wake up in the morning, what is the first thing you want to do?
20. What do you go to sleep thinking about?
Harry Potter (via audiobook)
21. Where is the highest location you’ve ever been to?
Boulder, Colorado? It was terrible. My headaches HATED it.
22. If there’s one thing in your llfe you want to change right now, what is it?
I’d love to know what my sleep schedule is supposed to be. I don’t know how many hours is the right amount right now. I don’t know if naps in the afternoon are good for me. I started a new medication about a month ago and I’m trying to figure out how it’s working with my body, and if that’s making me extra tired, and if I need to make room for that extra tiredness in my life long-term.
23. What is the personal trait you most proud of?
24. What is one goal that you’re really reaching for right now?
Figuring out what I’m capable of doing on a day to day, week to week, and month to month basis.
25. What is one thing that really annoys the crap out of you?
26. What is your favorite secret?
The Magicians on SYFY
27. Who is your most reliable laugh buddy?
That depends on what I want to laugh about. Probably Jeff, I can always go to him when I want to laugh about things.
28. What is the thing that is currently making you happiest?
The thing currently making me happiest is the Instant Pot. It is making cooking food easier and more interesting. It lets me make delicious brown rice in 30 minutes. It lets me cook larger, tougher cuts of meat in shorter amounts of time. I made the most delicious bolognese sauce (adapted from this recipe)
29. Where do you enjoy spending most of your time?
The big room in the house. It’s both my studio and our media room. I say media because it’s hooked up to both the TV and the 7.1 surround sound, so that I can just turn on the Spotify, the radio, or any other music I want to, and it sounds amazing. It’s where we play video games together on the couch, and where I play video games when we play on seperate screens.
30. What are you looking forward to most in the next season?
Planting! I’m so excited to grow plants this year. Last year we had a huge gap in our early growing season because of a ten day trip out of town for a wedding. It really messed with our seedling schedule last year and I am really happy-anxious to get started with it this year.
31. What was the best thing that happened in the past year?
Awesome Ladies Live. It was the most amazing weekend. The women that came in from all over the US made this event one of the most special things that I’ve been able to be a part of. We had an awesome panel of speakers. We made amazing creative projects. Most of all, we got together and made magic together.
32. What is one thing that you do to relax?
I play video games.
33. Where do you want to go next?
Outside. I’m so excited to start spending time outside again.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my birthday interview.